Shabba dont rank

So one thing I havent mentioned on here (primarily as before this latest stint, I have blogged only twice in the 5 and a bit years I have taken it up)is my interest/love/hate of motorbikes. I say hate (strong word) but its not necessarily that... It is just a case of not having sympathy when the things go wrong (and boy some have had their share... not naming names Honda CBF125...oops).

So yes when I realised I was spending a month and a bit's salary a year on train tickets where the trains were horrendously bad in service (not naming any names First Great Western now known as Great Western Railway... (As a wise man known as Britney Spears once said... Ooops I did it again :) ) Brackets within brackets... how novel) I thought there has to be a better way. So one day as I was browsing through the buy/sell ads on the work intranet (read : was wasting time), in a shining light from above kinda moment, I saw an advert for a scooter with fuel consumption of 130mpg. In my little head (ok its not so little but makes me sound cute) I quickly worked out that with that kinda fuel consumption I would pay around 12 of my great british pounds on fuel to get me to and from work for a week (as opposed to 80 odd quid if I were to take the train).

A little lightbulb struggled and then managed to finally light up (doesnt get much use you see) in my head and I worked it out with all expenses I would still be quids-in (British term for save cash) within the first year in comparison to train tickets. Off I went and got myself sorted with a learner's permit, found the elusive bike (Honda PCX 125 for anyone wondering) and then made my mind up that this would be my mode of transport without jumping to higher capacity bikes for eternity (being that it was rediculously cheap).

Roll on 3 weeks later and I am itching for a bigger engined bike... I still managed to hold on to my sanity, purse strings and the like for another few years before finally getting my big boy license and getting a bigger capacity bike. Its not to say I didnt change bikes (3 bikes in as many years) but all under the mandatory 125cc for learners. So now in 5 years and a few months I have had 5 bikes. My current bike is a slightly excessive (for commuting anyway) 10 times bigger engined bike than my very first one (Honda VFR1200 even though I know you are not interested). My silly excessive bike for commuting into a city as crazy busy with traffic as London, with fuel consumption that even decent sized cars can beat and a turning circle that would make a truck blush.... Still love it... In all honesty, with the exception of one (the afore mentioned Honda CBF125... got chopped in after 6 months) I have absolutely loved every singly bike I have owned (can you tell I love bikes now). Funny thing is, up until that fateful day I saw that bike advert I had never had any interest in motorbikes and now I cant see how I managed this long without it.

Just goes to show... never say never (or some other moral that may fit the narrative)... and go take up biking if you havent till now... you wont regret it

Comments

Popular posts from this blog