Center of my Heart

Yesterday started out just as any normal day would. Since I had finished getting ready for Juma and had a good half an hour to kill (an hour before khutbah, not the actual Namaz mind you) so I thought I'd log on and see who's around. So I'm around being bothered by an un-named blogistani when Gul logs on. Now before anyone starts going oooooh.. gul huh? who's she then etc... Gul was/is my baji from Cyprus. I got to know her early on in Cyprus and we were pretty cool friends. She always called me her bacha bhai (she learned a few urdu words from us).. Did i mention Gul is a cypriot. And I began calling her Abla (meanin elder sis in turkish) and later baji (as in the urdu word). So anyways, life went on, was very cool... got to know her whole family, relatives, fiance (who ofcourse is now her husband)... the whole 9 yards.

She got married in the last year of university (she was a year my senior). A year after I moved back Gul had a miscarriage and lost her baby. Poor thing was devastated. I cant begin to imagine how she must've felt.. and ofcourse good ol' Gullu loves babies like nobody's business. I felt soo bad for her, losing her own baby...

Anyways, then I moved back and we sorta drifted (as you do with distance). I think for the past year or so we virtually had one online conversation (different timings) and not a single phone call. Which is why I didnt know she had a daughter earlier this year. In May a friend went to Cyprus and later sent me piccies of him at Gul's place holding non other then Ece (pronouce ejay), gul's little one. I'm like who and when did this happen? So he told me, and surprisingly a few weeks later Gul sent me a few piccies of the little one. I was soo happy for her and ofcourse a bit upset I hadnt been told.

Now coming back to the story, Gul comes online and I'm like oh go on, say hello even if u are angry. So I do, and in conversation she goes, so whachu think of my little one. And ofcourse I reeled off a thousand Masha'Allahs. Then I'm like (being the drama queen I am) how come I didnt even get to konw about Ece from you and find out from someone else. She's like you never kept in touch. So a semi argument ensues (wont bore u any more with the details people), and she goes oh well you know now, isnt that wat counts? I'm like, yeah I suppose. Then I'm like so when exactly was good ol' Ece born. She goes you really wanna know.. I'm like YES.. why else would I ask. She's like ok.. 26th February. Ofcourse by the time I've read the date, my jaw has fallen to the floor and rolled down several feet (a'la cartoons). I'm like you're kidding me right. She's like nopes, then sends a scanned copy of the birth certificate. And I'm like WOW.. what're the odds of that.

She told me Ece was a week premature (that really cant be considered premature huh) but that doctors had said it was necessary to do a cesarian lest there may be problems in the birth. And ofcourse the decision by Gul and Zafer (her hubby) to have the cesarian was made on the 26th and little Ece officially entered the world.

Its incredible, when I started that conversation with Gul yesterday morning I was angry outta my head and in the ensuing 15 min, I completely forgot about it. She goes to me, now you know why I didnt even send you a birthday card or email on your birthday, I was giving birth to my own little one. What are the odds of that happenning? I juss went into awwww mode and have had this dorky grin on my face since then.

Funny how things work out huh? Goes to show, always be thankful for what you have and never take anything for granted Alhamdulillah. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shabba dont rank