Here I go again on my own
 
All I can say is Alhamdulillah for good parents who teach you the right stuff and tell you the stuff you need to stay away from (not that I always listen but sometimes I convince myself). The riff raff I'm about to describe started at around 10:30pm today.

Basically we have these family friends (well dad's known 'em for like 30 odd years), who's son is Masha'Allah getting married. Actually I think he has gotten married, they just havent gotten the wife over from Pakistan yet (waiting for visas I think). Anyways, they had this thing at their place for women today. They had informed us a week ago and invited mom to come. They're like oh yeah its females only but bring Omar and Usman along. I'm like mom, I'll pass... my brother aint the type either so we ofcourse didnt go. It was all young females and uncles and what not.

Skip to 10:30 when I go to pick 'em up. I get there, door's open and some punjabi tunes blarin' out. I'm like uh ohhhh... I walk in and see like 3 guys (all kitted out ofcourse) standing in the hallway. Due salaams are exchanged and one of the guy realizes I'm not there for the occassion (i think the jeans, t-shirt and sandals gave it away). So the guy who's gotten married is called  (we'll call him A). A comes over and looks like he's just run 10 miles. He comes up and gives me a warm hug (which he's never done before) so i'm like oh ok yeah cool dude. Anyways, he's like come in have dinner etc etc, i'm like nah.. I'm juss here to pick up ma parents. (lets have a random new paragraph)

So he's like oh just wait my mom's dancin', when she finishes I'll call her over. I'm thinking, whass your mom dancin' got to do with you callin' mine (ok ok he meant I could say salaam to aunty). Anyways, I'm like cool, he walks in to the room again and the next thing I know he's bhangrain' away in between 5 females. I'm like oh gawd... So I walk out and I'm like well once he's done he'll call my parents or his parents or watever. So I say to myself, if i'm standing there like a goon, I'll get called over to dance. So I walk out and call a friend (who's place I was just coming from) and he's like uh ohh.. u calling so soon? whass wrong? I'm like nothing I'm just avoiding being pulled into a dance.. Problem is my mom is at the back of the room where all the dancing is going on and the enterance to the room is sorta like half-way with women blocking it.

So anyway, I'm talkin to this guy and its been 15 min... no sign of anyone coming out. Girls coming out and going in (dressed to their teeth ofcourse), guy's dancin' in the front entrance... and ofcourse me loosing my temper. I'm like what the .... Hasnt he told anyone I'm here yet... So I'm telling my friend whass going on and he's laffin his head off. 20 min and no friggin' sign of anyone I know coming out. I'm like dude this is draggin on and no one's coming. So after waiting 20 min (during which ofcourse I'm talkin to my friend) I'm like dude, I gotta get in there and get my parents out. (Did I mention I've never been too fond of these people to begin with... for reasons I wont go into here) I walk in and there are like 4 girls standing there. I'm like errr.. excuse me. They move like half a centimeter.. I'm thinking GAWD! I'm like I'm quite chubby.. need more space to get through (and then ofcourse realize I should've just asked for more space instead of a stupid remark). One sniggers and is like oh I'm sure you can get through.. Thankfully enough mom sees me in the hallway and comes over (how she saw me through a hugely crowded room full of females is beyond me, but i'm thankful for it). I'm like mom can we go, I've been waiting half an hour to get to you. She's like lemme go grab my stuff.

I venture out to find dad sitting in the backyard with some other old people types. So  I go, say salam and sit down for 5 min. All this while there are other guys there who are being pulled inside to go and dance. I manage to pull dad away from the political dicussion andget back to the hallway. A's mom comes out and she's like how long you been here. I'm thinking LONG ENOUGH! She's like oh have some dinner, I'm like no thanks I juss ate (just being 6 hours previously). She's like oh so you have some energy.. I'm like uh ohhh.. she's like come and dance then.. We'll put on some Abrar-ul-Haq songs for you (for those of you who dont know Abrar-ul-Haq, dont worry, you're not missing anything). I'm like naah.. Then she's like oh no beta you cant go without dancing...

Side note : those of you lovely people who have had the misfortune of coming to this blog long enough will remember I went to my couz's wedding in the U.S. last december. I didnt even friggin dance at her wedding even though she's the closest thing I've ever had to a sister.. I kept myself busy with all kinda stuff during the dances and all so I wouldnt be dragged into it.. even though everyone had expected me, being the older bro type figure to do the most dancing.

So, I'm thinking I never danced in my cousin's wedding and you expect me to do it here... PASS!!! Anyways, I manage to pry myself away. Yes people may think its rude or weird or both to not have done so.. but I'm that kinda person. Aside from the basic fact that its forbidden by religion to dance in front of, or indeed with women (especially one's you dont know), I'm just not that kinda guy. Despite outward appearances, I aint the boogie kinda guy.. people find that hard to understand for some reason. Anyways, we finally managed to come out. All I can say is Alhamdulillah for good parents.

On another note... (quite a few in this post huh?) I had my graduation ceremony for the masters yesterday. I got a ton of angry phone calls from my classmates for not showing up :)   Especially this one particular girl who was in our class.. Nice practicing girl Masha'Allah.. She goes oh I want you to meet my parents.. I'm like *alarm bells*... errr.. sorry.. I'm busy... Besides, I had a few friends over who's parents arent here... they were having a good home cooked meal for once... So I think I was better off not going. What do you guys think?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog