Arabistani

As I posted earlier, I had Iftar at the Masjid today. Masha’Allah its always soo cool to have Iftar there. I think just over a hundred or so brothers turn up. Today dad came along too. He’s got a problem in his hip/leg so he has probs sitting on the floor and usually sits on a chair for prayers and stuff. Anyways, I dropped him off at the gate, went off to park and then came back. I wasn’t expecting to find a place next to dad but when I walked in, dad was near the entrance and called to me to sit next to him. I went over and the uncle ji sitting next to him sort of stared at me for a second. I just smiled without understanding the smile. I only found out later what it was all about. Anyways, after Iftar I was bouncing off the walls. The amount of sweet stuff was incredible, each and everything spoonfuls sweeter then the last. I don’t usually go to stuff myself in the Masjid, but the uncle ji next to me would pass me everything he would have which was Masha’Allah awesome of him.

I feel weird having Iftar at the Masjid. This is gonna sound stupid but I feel that if I don’t go to the Masjid often enough, I don’t have the right to have Iftar there, even though we took quite a bit stuff with us today. So I was trying to have a few dates and maybe a small piece or two of bread but I was stuck between dad’s chair (everyone sits on the floor) and the uncle ji next to me. Obviously I couldn’t jump over the food so I had to sit patiently during which time the uncle ji tried to use me as a human iftar disposal. It was only after Iftar, when another uncle said salam and asked how I was did I realize what was going on. He usually speaks to me in English but he spoke in Urdu. Yeah you’re probably thinking “CALL THE POLICE, ALERT THE FBI.. PEOPLE ARE TALKING TO HIM IN URDU”. Here’s the thing, apparently, most uncle jis when they see me think I’m one of the types born and bred here and they imagine me to not understand Urdu at all or minimal at best. So when the uncle ji at Iftar saw I understand Urdu he gave me that stare and I later understood what it was all about. Pretty soon all the uncle jis who talk to me in English were talking to me in Urdu. Weird… I don’t mind talking in Urdu, but since everyone thought I didn’t know any, I didn’t try to dispense their misconceptions. I’m like that… the quiet kind. (you’re thinking.. yeah with a post this long and the ramblings all over blogistan I churn out, I DEFINITLY must be the quiet kind). I have to admit, a lot of the uncles thought I was an Arab in the beginning (some still do) but I do get a lot of interviews. Questions on what I think of life in England, how life was in Saudi, why I moved here blah blah blah.. one uncle even asked me what I think of the youth here… errrr.. no comment uncle ji… too many weird questions…

I wish they thought I was an Arab again J

Incidentally, now that almost everyone’s seen me ugly mug.. do I look like an Arab???

P.S. note to Aysha... man that was soo much maska polish, my head grew enormously and i couldnt even get it through the doorway. And I do look a little like an indian filum actor??? Ewwwwwwww.. I'm gonna go have plastic surgery!! Keanu Reeves?? Dang you sure do want a laptop dont you??? :-p

Anyways, gotta go Iron mom and dad's clothes for Jumah prayer!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shabba dont rank

Any minute now, my ship is coming in