Friends

As much as the title may sound like it relates to the TV series of the same name, this post has nothing to do with the over-the-hill-trying-to-be-funny-while-making-twats-of-themselves sitcom. Its about friends, the real ones.

Now, I have to be honest here (not that I'm usually not honest) but I've been a bit of a skeptic of the friends-for-life cliche. Admittedly there are cases where it has happenned but its not as common as people might think it. I have a handful of friends who I know have made an impact on my life but dont think I'll always be in contact with. Nothing new there, its all part of life. Even though most people who know me refuse to believe tihs, but I'm a huge skeptic (Ok you're all probably wondering why I'm babbling on like this, so we'll randomly skip to the next paragraph and I'll tell you).

2 days ago I was talking to a friend who I shared a house with at one point in Cyprus. Quite a few of my friends in Cyprus used to live in Saudi Arabia and still do. Those who graduated went back there and now, Alhamdulillah, have good jobs (and flash cars...GRRRR). Anyways, me, even though having an IQ less than my own shoe size, decided to go for a Masters degree (dont ask why, even I still dont know). Everyone knows how I'd like nothing more than to go back home, but for the time being am working on my graduation project. Heck, I'm babbling again. So anyways, my friend told me that the guys, 4 of them to be precise have decided something. I was like congratulations you didnt need a 4 year old to help you think. Then he proceeded to offer something which I couldnt imagine a normal 'friend' would do.

(Random new paragraph) Apparently, since I havent seen any of those blockheads in the last 2 and half years (and a few of them even more), I've been invited to go over to Jeddah after Hajj time. Nothing bad about that, I've been looking for a chance for ages. Since they all know I'm only working part-time, they've also offered to pay for half my ticket. Half. HALF. (where's the rest you cheapskates!!!). Obviously I'd have no problems with accomodation but half my air-fare. Now Alhamdulillah, I am able to earn enough to pay my own way and bring home some to give to my mom as well. And Alhamdulillah if I did decide to go I would be able to bear all the expenses but I never ever for the life of me, expected something like this.

Whether it's the spirit of Ramadan, or the fact that they really did want to see my ugly mug or maybe just roast me on an open fire I dont know. All I do know is that I've been deeply touched that people could be that nice to me. Alhamdulillah for good friends. Now I realize that even if I dont stay in contact with these people (although now I'll be making an extra hard effort to do so), they will Insha'Allah be people I always remember as the people who offered me so much more than just friendship (half an airticket to be precise... LOL. kidding). Good thing these guys dont know I have a blog, or their heads would be inflated like hot air balloons right now!

Guess even skeptics have to look at the brighter side sometimes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shabba dont rank

Any minute now, my ship is coming in